In this tutorial, we will be building a Jumia powered affiliate shop website using the affiliate shop plugin for Jumia.
I assume you have WordPress, WooCommerce plugin, and a WooCommerce supported theme preferably Storefront together with a SEO plugin (WordPress SEO by Yoast and SEO Ultimate are currently only supported) installed.
Setting up WooCommerce and Storefront Theme
Firstly, let’s do some WooCommerce configuration.
- Click on settings in WooCommerce menu link and navigate to the General tab.
- Select Nigeria as your Base Location and Nigerian Naira as Currency beneath Currency Options. For other Jumia located countries like Ghana, Kenya, Egypt, Ivory Coast, Morocco, Cameroon etc; select your currency.
- Navigate to the Products tab, click the “Display” sub menu link and ensure the product’s image dimension conforms to that which is shown in the image below.
Let’s go over the few steps in setting up Storefront theme by WooTheme, makers of WooCommerce.
- Create a page with name “Welcome to [your site name here]” (or whatever name you deem fit), and be sure to select Homepage as the page attribute from the right-hand side metabox.
- Still in WordPress dashboard, click “Reading” under Settings menu.
- Select the page you created earlier as the website front page and save.
We are pretty much done setting up WooCommerce and the storefront theme.
Configuring the Jumia Affiliate Shop Plugin
Before we go over to the plugin setup, we first have to create WooCommerce categories for the products we wish to promote or include in our affiliate shop and grab our Jumia affiliate URL.
Creating WooCommerce Categories
- Click the “Categories” link beneath the WooCommerce Products menu.
- Create the categories for the Jumia products as you would in for WordPress articles.
Getting your Affiliate promotion URL
- Login to your Jumia Affiliate account
- Click on Tools >> Link Builder navigation menu.
- Select the Jumia store country you are promoting. Nigeria in our case.
- In the “Final URL” text area, therein lies your affiliate unique link. Say your generated affiliate link is
The segment of the affiliate link below is what the affiliate shop plugin for Jumia will be needing i.e. you should stop the copy at ckmrdr=.
Upgrading from the Old Affiliate System
As soon as you replace your old affiliate link with the new one, all existing products you’ve imported using the old link will automatically be replaced with the new affiliate link you saved. Cool beans, isn’t it?
Should incase the upgrade fails, you can always manually upgrade all old links to the new link.
Configuring Jumia Affiliate Shop Plugin
Click the menu to go to the plugin settings page.
The plugin settings is divided into Configuration and Product Setup.
The configuration section is intuitive and pretty easy to do. See screenshot below.
The product setup section is also pretty straight-forward and easy. Select a category and input the corresponding Jumia category link.
For example, say you created a Clothing category for your Affiliate shop. The corresponding Jumia link is http://www.jumia.com.ng/clothing/. Copy and paste the link to the Product Sources text area for the category.
Say you want to include shoes to the “Clothing” category, separate the URLs with a comma like so:
http://www.jumia.com.ng/clothing/, http://www.jumia.com.ng/mens-shoes/, http://www.jumia.com.ng/womens-shoes/
Once done, save the changes.
At this juncture, we are pretty much done setting up the plugin. To import products immediately from Jumia.com.ng without having to wait for the plugin cron job to run, click the “Force Sync” button.
Preview your website and you will see the products belong to the various categories being displayed.